Monday, April 18, 2011

Next three days...

We leave tomorrow for a town called Marsabit, then to Torbi, the smaller town where Umuro stays.  I will be on a plane again, this time a smaller one flown by a Christian group, MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship).  Got some Kenyan shillings today, so buying things is easier. I have prayed today that my words today in conversation with Loise were not arrogantly American.  I tried to find out about Kenya and her and what FH does here.  She is my age or maybe a little older and we had a good time today shopping and talking about things.  I fly out at 9 am tomorrow, so won't be able to write again. until maybe Friday or in an airport on the way home.  Spiritually it was really hard yesterday when I got here.  I felt very alone and really prayed a lot, not for protection, but for companionship.  God allowed me to read Ps 68:10 though on the way here, "God makes a home for the lonely."   I am thankful for the little ways God reminds us of his presence. 

Today as I was getting a little anxious about not having talked with Loise yet, I really couldn't do anything: no money, no water (that I could trust to drink) and no phone or Internet, and of course no "friends" yet.  I decided that before I try to run around in a city I don't know and get lost I should go to my room and be quiet, pray, and read the word.  One of my memory verses today was Ps. 131:1 "O Lord, my heart is not proud, my eyes are not haughty, I do not concern myself with great matters or things to wonderful to me [like how to function in a foreign place] but I have stilled and quieted my soul."  I just had this peace as I stood up to leave the room a few minutes later. 

As soon as I walked out the door a hotel worker asked me if I needed anything and I told him I had nothing to drink and had not exchanged my money yet so I could get some.  He got me two waters!  Man God provided fast!  I got to use the phone at the hotel, which got the ball rolling on all my issues.  But if I had never gone to the room to spend time with the Lord before I got more stressed about things, I might not have seen the worker in the hall.  Also, it really helps that most people here speak English!  What a blessing!

The hotel I'm in for one more night is fine, but the neighborhood around it isn't the greatest.  So, going out alone is not on the top of my list. I really have no need to anyway.  Been good to sit and share this with you guys in the restaurant downstairs in the hotel.  Finally found a place where the wireless works here. 

Lastly, found out about the village we'll visit tomorrow.  In short, about seven years ago, there was a massacre there and I think Umuro's father was killed.  He lives with his mother and 6 siblings. He is 12 and he is the oldest.  Wow!  Supposedly, I am the first sponsor to come to this particular village to see a child.  Also, Loise is going actually into the village for the first time too.  She is excited as well.  Conditions should be basic, no showers, no bathroom (maybe a latrine), and dry climate.  I may get to eat some goat while I'm there and will get to spend almost day with Umuro and his family.  Bring on the bug spray and mosquito net, here we come!  Love you guys!  Please continue to pray that God will show me His kingdom here.  Also, pray for an opportunity to plant or water Seeds in the village.  There is a group of believers there, so also pray I can be an encouragement to them.  

2 comments:

  1. By the way, not sure why I capitalized Seeds! Bear with my weirdness. Important word I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joesh! I am excited about God's provison for you bro! It was good to hear your voice today... I am glad that you are being cautious about your surroundings. I pray the Lord give you a special time with Umoro and the people in the village. See you soon... Isaiah 26:3-4

    ReplyDelete