Saturday, April 23, 2011

The main thing...

Hey guys.  I am staying at a place now called Hampton House in Nairobi.  My flight leaves at 10:50 tonight, so I've had a extra day to relax!  The Father has really blessed me in the last two days.  I have had two free days since we did not stay in Torbi for another day on Thursday.  I've had the chance to relax, sleep in and hang out with Loise and a few of her friends.  Been really cool to experience some daily life here rather than have some rushed agenda to get through.  I have several thoughts to share from my journal this week, but I think I'll select some to share at a later date when my time online is not limited. 

Will share a quick story and then post a few pictures though.  On Thursday, God ordained an appointment I really did not expect.  Loise and I came in from Torbi to Marsabit (larger city with airstrip) on Wed night because MAF does not fly on Good Friday, so they had to fly us back to Nairobi in Thursday.  Basically we came back a day earlier than expected.  But God had a plan for the early departure. 

We walked up to the FH office Thursday morning (the day we would have been traveling back from Torbi)in Marsabit and found a young man sitting in the office waiting by himself.  Turns out he was waiting for me!  It was Adan, the first young man I sponsored!  He is 17 now! My sponsorship ended 3 years ago, but his community had been phased out of FH's service and someone at FH got in touch with him about my arrival.  I had spoken to the FH staff in the Nairobi office about possibly seeing him, but it was up in the air as to whether it was possible.  But he had walked 20 km (over 12 mi) starting at 7am to come see me.  I don't even know how he found out which day to come to town.  He lives in a smaller town outside of Marsabit, but somehow he got word of me being there.  We got to talk and took some pictures (see below).  What an unexpected blessing! 

Me and Adan (Thurs)



Me and Adan (Thurs)

Me and Loise before take-off to Marsabit (Tues)
The next few pictures are of Umuro and I.  I'm not sure what I expected to feel when I came his home, but I ended up just feeling so grateful they would let me in their home.  His mother cooked for us and we talked for a while about our families.  I showed him the pictures I had brought for him of my family back home.  Sorry Mama and Maria, somehow in my rush to get things together at the last minute (anyone surprised!)  I left out pictures of you two! I need to take some, because Umuro actually asked about that!  I told him I would send him some later.  I found out more about Umuro's family and met his siblings.  His father evidently did not die in a massacre, like I thought, but two years after that, not sure how though.  The meeting was actually more awkward than I thought it would be.  Of course language was an issue, except for the English Umuro understood because of school.  He was quiet though, very shy.  Loise told me that might happen though.  I can understand.... meeting some stranger for the first time, not knowing how to act.  There were definitely visitors watching the first meeting as well.  Several children and mothers were in the house with us while we met for the first time.  It was just humbling and very down-to-earthy to just meet and talk.  We did not spend to long together, but his mother and aunt gave me jewelry as a gift for coming to see them.  My time online is about to run out so I'll post this and see you soon hopefully.  Below are pictures of Umuro and our trip to Marsabit by plane.   

Me and Umuro in Torbi- inside Umuro's home (Wed)

Umuro (Finally a smiling picture! He was a bit shy this meeting!)

Umuro's school.  In the bottom left is the FH staff member who works in Torbi.  His name is Joseph.

Water catchment system on side of a mountain

2 comments:

  1. SUPER STINKIN' COOL that you got to meet Adan too!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so awesome man! you really seem to be in your element bro! B and I went to a service tonight where at least 30 maybe 40 people came to know the Lord... really lookin forward to spendin some time with you when you get back and at the retreat to hear every story... Happy Ressurection day my brother! glad you got to see Adan and Umoro... Numbers 6:24-26

    ReplyDelete