Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Back home now...

Hey guys!  I am back in the US now.  All my flights went as planned and some actually arrived early.  God truly was faithful on this trip in all ways possible.  I truly did enjoy my time there, but I'm glad to be back to start a bit of a routine again.  Soon though I'll be off to Atlanta to start a new routine!  Wanted to share some final thoughts about my trip to Kenya.  It is hard to capture all my thoughts, emotions, and God stories in a few paragraphs.  I would love to sit down and talk with anyone who would like to hear more stories, details, and see pictures from the trip.

First, I truly feel this wasn't a "mission trip" as we like to call them.  This is the first short trip across an ocean I've been one alone, the first one just to visit someone one instead of "minister" to them (I'll clarify that in a bit), but not the first one I've learned from.

I'll try to summarize a couple lessons and reflections below:

1)  Kenya is full of Christian influence.  I knew there were churches in Kenya and other parts of Africa, especially below the Sahara desert.  But what I didn't realize was how similar the Church is in Kenya to the Church in America at times.  It seemed many Kenyans have heard the Gospel and responded to it.  Seems that at least one or two generations of Christ followers have come and gone in Kenya.  That is awesome!  But I was a bit surprised to learn that not every Christian in Kenya is vibrantly living out their faith.  I heard a sermon from a Kenyan pastor that I assumed would be a great picture of all churches all over Kenya.  But it seems there are a lot of people, just like in the US, who are Christian in name, but may not walk with God daily.  I don't mean to upset any Americans or Kenyans by the statement, but think it is true.  I did not spend a lot of time there, but it seemed that the American church and the Kenyan church have things in common that I did not expect.

The folks I met with Food for the Hungry (shout out to Loise, Nancy, Jackie and others!) are living out their faith by helping the needy, caring for orphans, and those afflicted by drought, conflicts, and poverty. They are part of churches that seek to work through real life that can be messy and sinful, yet is being in redeemed and sanctified by God.  In America, Kenya, and throughout the world churches are made up of people who seek God wholeheartedly, people who dabble in following Christ, and those who "act" the part, but seem to lack a heart that follows God.  Believers' lives everywhere are messy, full of sin struggles, and in need of God's Holy Spirit to revive/forgive them and guide their growth in faith and life.  In short, my perception that most of Africa is a place of struggle and poverty was misheld (mostly by the time I spent in nicer areas Nairobi with folks that are not in poverty.  That perception of poverty led me to believe that the believers there truly lived in a place of extreme physical dependence daily, leading to stronger (because of more constant dependence) churches than we have in the US, where many are physically comfortable and wealthy relative to the rest of the world.  The reality is that Christians in any country who are materially comfortable can easily slip into a "comfortable" faith that seems less desperate for God to move and sustain and revive hearts.  So may God continue to revive and sanctify churches and believers all over the world in His ways.

2)  Second, it was so refreshing to go on a "visit trip" not a "mission trip."  What I mean is that I made a visit to a family and spent time with a few Kenyans as friends, instead of accomplishing an agenda of ministry activities.  Not that those trips to build a school or physically help with something in areas of poverty are wrong, I just really enjoyed the relational aspect, "sharing my life and the gospel" not just fixing poverty.  Loise made an important point as we talked one night. She reminded me that the reason NGOs (non-governmental organizations = non-profits, such as Food for the Hungry) exist is because the church has not been obedience to care for widows, orphans, and the needy.  NGOs are there helping the poor because local church bodies are not.  May God revive us in the local church to look outside our windows and in our neighborhoods to see those in need and lend a hand as the Good Samaritan did.

Overall I saw my visit as an act of love that is just as much ministry as building a school or a well would be.  I really enjoyed sitting in Umuro's home and chatting with he and his family.  God is present in relationships not just tasks that you do for people.  Jesus cared for people and it was good to just have a relationship with Umuro and his family.  I ate with them, had tea, and shared stories of my family with them.  They are in need of daily food (his family has no livestock = no way to sell them to make money) and are in poverty, yet are just as much people to sit and talk with as anyone else.  Giving is one way to show love and listening and encouraging is another.   I was privileged to be a part of all that throughout during this visit.   

If you would like to talk more let me know.  It is a privilege to share my thoughts.  This entry was a bit serious but there were some light moments on the trip too.  Maybe I'll share a few of those and some journal entries soon.  If anyone would like to see pictures from the trip, I'll be putting a few on Facebook soon so you can look through.  I'll see you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment