Saturday, June 4, 2011

New way to travel

My new wheels
Thought I would show you a new toy that I hope will be very useful in Clarkston.  I'm trying to save some money by not driving when I can help it.  As far as I know, most of the places I'll need to go are within a few miles of my apartment.  I may find out differently as time goes on, but I'm gonna try to make this bike my main mode of transportation for the next year.  Working right now on buying some accessories (rack on the back for carrying things, water bottle holders, etc.).  Hopefully it will keep me in good shape too! 

What a great story of how I got this bike.  I went to two nice bike shops in Greenville.  At both places I learned what types of bikes are available at nice places.  I asked enough questions to narrow down what type of bike is good for city/suburban riding.  I also wanted to be able to take the bike on a dirt or gravel trail every once in a while.  Anyway, I found several really nice bikes that I liked, but the cheapest one was $390.  I test drove a Giant Roam 2 (Giant is a name brand bike as I learned in the last few days) bike that I really liked, but would have to shell out $500 for it.  As for other name brands in case you're interested: Cannondale, Trek, Scott. 

Left those places thinking about whether it was worth it to pay that much when I wasn't buying it to become the next Lance Armstrong.  I'm just trying to get a reliable, decently comfortable bike that won't fall apart if I beat on it a little bit!  As a last stop I went by Play It Again Sports, a second hand store.  I figured I would take a shot and see if someone had brought in a used bike that was decent.  I came at just the right time!  I found a used Giant bike with smooth gear shifting, a good frame, and pretty good parts.  Gonna get some new tires, but will still pay about half as much for the bike, tires, and accessories as I would have for a new bike by itself at the other stores.  I paid $115 for a good bike which was even a discount from the Play It Again price.  Praise God for His timing in the little things.  If I had not stopped by to see what they had and insisted on getting a new "fancy" bike I would have never found it.  God doesn't require fancy all the time, just useful.  What a blessing! 

Ok, so what am I doing paying so money for two wheels when I just quit my job and have the funds to use my car, which I'll have in Clarkston?  Well, for one I'm trying to save money once I get there.  For another, a very generous friend gave me several hundred dollars to support the work in Clarkston.  He gave it to me with the intention of me using it how I needed to.  I feel like this purchase really gives me a cheap but reliable way to get around in Clarkston.  I also hope it will help me relate to people who might not have a car and rely on other ways of transport in the city.  So a gift has turned into what could be a great ministry tool and good exercise.  I am again so thankful for how God supplies my needs and even this small want.  I truly believe He is supplying this for His kingdom work!

Was humming a song this morning I thought I would share with you.  "Take My Life and Let it Be" is an old hymn Chris Tomlin remade recently.  It was my prayer this morning for me and others.
Take My Life and Let it Be
Frances R. Havergal, 1874

Take my life and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands and let them move
at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
swift and beautiful for Thee.

Take my voice and let me sing
always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold
not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
every power as You choose.

Take my will and make it Thine
it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart it is Thine own
it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord I pour
at Your feet its treasure store
Take myself and I will be
ever, only, all for Thee.
Take myself and I will be
ever, only, all for Thee.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome to hear, Josh. I'd love to have a bike again if I had a place to store it. Good to know some info on where to find a good brand. :-) And yeah- that sounds like it will be a great aid to your ministry as well as a money saver. It's always so cool how God works everything out for our good. And thanks for posting that hymn- it's one of my absolute favorites from such a great hymn writer- Frances R. Havergal also wrote another all time favorite of mine- "I Gave My Life for Thee" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the background pic on your blog...was it when you were flying to Africa? The bike will be an excellent tool to have, and talk about some great exercise:) I'm glad the Lord provided in such a special way! I hope you're getting settled in and getting adjusted to your new surroundings. How many miles have you put on your bike so far. It would be neat to get pedometer for it and track your miles! I'd love the data for my math class :) Take care...Kitty T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO COOL! Love you so much, sir...I believe we need a skype date soon!

    ReplyDelete